IMFS November Abstracts
PhD, MSc, BSc is a Reader at the Department of Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
Industry 4.0: What, How and Why
Digital manufacturing has been a hot topic associated with various terms and initiatives, more recently to 4th industrial revolution (or Industry 4.0). The Industry 4.0 concept has been linked with 20+ technology enablers, which are relevant for large as well as small and medium sized enterprises. In this keynote, what, how and why aspects of Industry 4.0 will be explored.
This talk is suitable for students, faculty, industry, and policy experts interested in the management of digital manufacturing.
Keywords: Digital Manufacturing, Industry 4.0, digitalisation, factory, technology, robotics, collaborative robots, augmented reality, virtual reality, digital twins
- Malik, A.A.; Masood, T.; Kousar, R. Repurposing factories with robotics in the face of COVID-19. Science Robotics 2020, 5(43), eabc2782, https://doi.org/10.1126/scirobotics.abc2782.
- Malik, A.A.; Masood, T.; Kousar, R. Reconfiguring and ramping-up ventilator production in the face of COVID-19: Can robots help?. Journal of Manufacturing Systems 2020, 14 October 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2020.09.008.
- Masood, T. and Sonntag, P. (2020). “Industry 4.0: Adoption challenges and benefits for SMEs”, Computers in Industry, 121, 103261, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2020.103261, 12 pages.
- Masood, T., So, E. and McFarlane, D.C. (2017). “Disaster management operations – big data analytics to resilient supply networks”, In European Operations Management Association (EurOMA) Conference, Edinburgh, 1-5 July 2017, pp. 1-10, available from here: http://euroma2017.eiasm.org/userfiles/HKJGLML_GDFJMK_AW7YG3VT.pdf.
- Malik, A.A., Masood, T. and A. Bilberg (2020). “Virtual reality in manufacturing: Immersive and collaborative artificial- reality in design of human-robot workspace”, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 33(1), 22-37, https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2019.1690685.
- Egger, J., and Masood, T. (2020). “Augmented reality in support of intelligent manufacturing – A systematic literature review”, Computers & Industrial Engineering, volume 140, 106195, published 3 December 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2019.106195.
- Masood, T. and Egger, J. (2019). “Augmented reality in support of Industry 4.0 – Implementation challenges and success factors”, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 58, 181-195, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2019.02.003.
- Masood, T. and Egger, J. (2020). “Adopting augmented Reality in the age of Industrial Digitalisation”, Computers in Industry, volume 115, 103112, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2019.07.002.
- Masood, T., Egger, J. and Kern, M. (2018). “Future-proofing the through-life engineering service systems”, Procedia Manufacturing, volume 16, pp. 179-186, published 2 November 2018. Invited Paper, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2018.10.162.
- Masood, T., Kern, M. and Clarkson, P.J. (2020). “Characteristics of changeable systems across value chains”, International Journal of Production Research, 29 July 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2020.1791997.
- Rashid A, Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Tjahjono B, Khan N, Shami M. Enterprise systems’ life cycle in pursuit of resilient smart factory for emerging aircraft industry: a synthesis of Critical Success Factors’(CSFs), theory, knowledge gaps, and implications. Enterprise Information Systems 2018;12:96–136, https://doi.org/10.1080/17517575.2016.1258087.